Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

LIVING THE DREAM: PT 1



Over the next few posts, I'll be sharing with you about each of my radio shows and radio stations. My purpose for doing so is not to promote them, (okay, a little shameless self-promotion never hurt anyone right?) but more to share with you my deep love and passion for this hobby that has grown into something more over the past year. If your interest is piqued after reading, please by all means, check out my shows! Seriously though, I hope they will motivate and inspire you to follow your true passion and calling!




Coming up this Sunday, July 21, I will celebrate my 1-year anniversary on BlogTalk Radio with my show called Jammin Jukebox Radio Show. Ironically, on the 1-year anniversary of my boyfriend's passing, just a few short weeks before my show debuted, I decided I was going to do something in his honor that would give me great joy, while helping others in the process.

There's a back-story, however. Before there was ever a radio show, there was a radio station.  In 2007, I founded a radio station over at Live365.com called Jukebox Junction Radio that continues to thrive today.When I began my radio station in '07, I set up a music profile on MySpace (back before there was a Facebook) and it wasn't long before I was being approached by Indie artists who asked if I would play their music on my station. I soon realized that Indie music was no longer a far-removed unique Rock genre, but instead had grown into an all-inclusive genre that desperately needed to be heard. Even though the radio station was doing quite well, I was always left with this feeling of wanting to do more with my passion for radio and music and to help Indie artists all over the world be heard.



A few months after my boyfriend passed away, I gravitated to social media and discovered Twitter. At first I didn't get the whole Twitter thing. It seemed foreign in nature; much like Facebook was for me in the beginning. But it didn't take long for me to figure out this Twitter thing was a neat little social medium. One of the very first things I noticed was that Twitter was a brilliant way to promote a cause or brand to practically the whole world, unlike Facebook. In the course of getting to know Twitter, I stumbled upon tweets promoting radio shows being hosted over on BlogTalk Radio. Who knew there was a place out there where you could do a podcast, broadcast it to the world, and gain a legion of listeners. Now THAT was pretty cool and exactly the kind of broadcasting I had been aspiring to do since 2007 when I founded my radio station.



I'm convinced there's an order and reason to everything that happens in our lives. Had my boyfriend not passed away, I can assure you I would not have discovered Twitter, much less BlogTalk Radio. I know it was all part of God's plan! In the past year I've featured the music of Indie artists from all over the world. I've interviewed Indie artists from Scotland, the UK, Canada and all over the United States. I've done over 200 interviews and played countless hours of Indie music. So with my 1-year anniversary of Jammin Jukebox Radio Show fast approaching and 750,000 listeners later, the rest they say is history. I hope to be doing what I love for many more years and one day soon doing this radio thing as my full-time career. I think I'm well on my way and have laid some positive groundwork. Dreams do come true. What are yours??



No comments: